Monday, November 12, 2007

tech savvy

As I near graduation I can't help but get nervous about the propect of finding a "real job". Some of my friends have them, most of them don't. I'm pretty sure I want one. But, with so much competition how will I ever stand out?
I think that staying on top of indutry trends will allow me to stand out in interviews.
Although I struggle with pocasting, blogging and creating social media news releases, I have enjoyed learning how to do them. Technology can be incredibly frustrating but its rewards make it all worth it.
If I can introduce a company to the concept of a SMNR for the first time, that would be great. If I can offer the company my knowledge of and plans for creating a podcast that would be great too. By learning these new, modern ways to communicate and reach audiences we are becoming a new breed of PR professionals.
I think it's great that we are being taught information in college that is new and relevant. With some of my classes I feel as though what I learn may be obsolete in a few years, but with J452 I feel that I am gaining knowledge that will be relevant for many years to come.
Learning new technology is tough, but I'm glad that I will have that knowledge when I apply for jobs. I really do think it can distinguish job applicants significantly from the rest.
As students it's important that we make sure we are learning skills that are new and relevant, not old and outdated.

No comments: